rpc00036: Nicotiana tabacum BY-2H callus culture¶
- Two 9-cm Petri dishes, containing cells placed on semi-solid medium
- Subculture the cells to fresh medium immediately after arrival.
- Do not store the cell culture in a refrigerator and a freezer.
- Maintain aseptic conditions of the cell culture, and work in a laminar flow cabinet.
- Culture medium: mLS medium, 0.9% (w/v) agar, pH 5.8 (medium no. 31)
- Culture conditions: 27°C, dark
- Subculture: 28-day intervals
Citation of cell line
When results obtained by using this cell line are published in a scientific journal, it should be cited in the following manner: “Nicotiana tabacum BY-2H cell line (rpc00036) was provided by the RIKEN BRC which is participating in the National BioResource Project of the MEXT/AMED, Japan.”
Tobacco BY-2H cell line is a habituated BY-2 cell line that have capacity to proliferate without 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) (Syōno and Fujita 1994 ). The parent cell line BY-2 (rpc00001) was established from a callus induced from a seedling of Nicotiana tabacum L. cultivar Bright Yellow 2 in the presence of 2,4-D (Nagata et al. 1992 ). The BY-2H cells are grown on a phytohormone-free modified Linsmaier and Skoog (mLS) medium solidified with 0.9% (w/v) agar, pH 5.8. Our BY-2H cell culture has been maintained in the dark at 27°C and subcultured at 28-day intervals.
Chemicals and stock solutions¶
(All stock solutions are stored at 4°C)
MS salt mix
Murashige and Skoog Plant Salt Mixture, Wako Pure Chemical Industries (#392-00591)
Chemical Concentration (mg/mL) KH2PO4 80
Chemical Concentration (mg/mL) Thiamine·HCl 0.4 myo-Inositol 40
KOH (1 N)
Glassware and equipment¶
- Erlenmeyer flask (200 mL), capped with two layers of aluminum foil
- Forceps, sterilized before use
Preparation of mLS medium (medium no. 31)¶
Dissolve the following chemicals in approximately 800 mL of distilled water.
Chemical Amount MS salt mix 1 bag (1 L) Sucrose 30 g
Add following stock solutions, and fill up to approximately 950 mL with distilled water.
Stock solution Volume (mL) BY2_P 2.5 LS_VT_modified 2.5
Adjust the pH of the solution to 5.8 with KOH (1 N), and fill up to 1 L with distilled water.
Pour 80 mL of the medium into a 200-mL flask containing 0.72 g of agar.
Autoclave the flask at 121°C for 20 min.
- Pick up an appropriate amount of callus cells from a 28-day-old culture with a forceps and place the cells onto fresh mLS medium.
- Incubate cell cultures under the dark condition at 27°C.
- We send BY-2H cells on semi-solid mLS medium in a 9-cm plastic Petri dish. The cells should be subcultured to fresh mLS medium immediately after arrival.
- In order to maintain BY-2H callus culture stably, it is essential to observe the growth of cells carefully. Because proliferation of BY-2H cells is affected by culture conditions, such as a room temperature, aeration conditions of the culture and so on, an amount of cells transferred to fresh medium and the subculture intervals may vary from one lab to another. We usually inoculate three pieces of BY-2H callus (about 5–7-mm in diameter) on 80 mL of mLS medium in a 200-mL flask, and culture them for 28 days.
- It is important to subculture good healthy cells. Brownish BY-2H cells near the upper part of a callus should not be used.
|||Nagata T, Nemoto Y, Hasezawa S (1992) Tobacco BY-2 cell line as the “HeLa” cell in the cell biology of higher plants. International Review of Cytology 132: 1–30. DOI: 10.1016/S0074-7696(08)62452-3|
|||Syōno K, Fujita T (1994) Habituation as a tumorous state that is interchangeable with a normal state in plant cells. International Review of Cytology 152: 265–299. DOI: 10.1016/S0074-7696(08)62559-0|