rpc00031: Oryza sativa Oc cell suspension culture¶
- Domestic delivery: Two 50-mL tubes, containing 25 mL of cell suspension
- Overseas delivery: Two 250-mL flasks, containing cells placed on semi-solid medium
- Subculture the cells to fresh medium immediately after arrival.
- Do not store the cell culture in a refrigerator and a freezer.
- Maintain aseptic conditions of the cell culture, and work in a laminar flow cabinet.
- Culture medium: MS medium, 1 mg/L 2,4-D, pH 5.7 (medium no. 27)
- Culture conditions: 27°C, dark, 120 rpm
- Subculture: 7-day intervals
Citation of cell line
When results obtained by using this cell line are published in a scientific journal, it should be cited in the following manner: “Oryza sativa Oc cell line (rpc00031) was provided by the RIKEN BRC which is participating in the National BioResource Project of the MEXT/AMED, Japan.”
Rice Oc cell line was established from seedling roots of Oryza sativa L. indica-type accession C5928 (Baba et al. 1986 ). The cell suspension culture is fast growing and composed of small and near-uniform clumps of cells. The Oc cells are grown in a Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium supplemented with 1 mg/L 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D), pH 5.7. Our Oc cell culture has been maintained in the dark at 27°C with rotary shaking at 120 rpm and subcultured at 7-day intervals.
Chemicals and stock solutions¶
(All stock solutions are stored at 4°C)
MS salt mix
Murashige and Skoog Plant Salt Mixture, Wako Pure Chemical Industries (#392-00591)
Chemical Concentration (mg/mL) Nicotinic acid 0.5 Pyridoxine·HCl 0.5 Thiamine·HCl 0.1 Glycine 2
Chemical Concentration (mg/mL) myo-Inositol 40
2,4-D (0.2 mg/mL)
Chemical Concentration (mg/mL) 2,4-D sodium monohydrate 0.236
(2,4-Dichlorophenoxy)acetic acid sodium salt monohydrate, Sigma-Aldrich (D6679)
KOH (1 N)
- Erlenmeyer flask (300 mL), capped with two layers of aluminum foil
- Pipette (10 mL; large tip opening) and a bulb, sterilized by autoclaving at 121°C for 20 min
Preparation of MS medium (medium no. 27)¶
Dissolve the following chemicals in approximately 800 mL of distilled water.
Chemical Amount MS salt mix 1 bag (1 L) Sucrose 30 g
Add following stock solutions, and fill up to approximately 950 mL with distilled water.
Stock solution Volume (mL) MS_VT 1 MS_inositol 2.5 2,4-D (0.2 mg/mL) 5
Adjust the pH of the solution to 5.7 with KOH (1 N), and fill up to 1 L with distilled water.
Pour 80 mL of the medium into a 300-mL flask.
Autoclave the flask at 121°C for 20 min.
- Leave to stand a flask containing a 7-day-old culture until the cells settle to the bottom of the flask.
- Transfer 6 mL of the sedimented cells to 80 mL of fresh MS medium with a pipette.
- Incubate cell cultures on a rotary shaker at 120 rpm under the dark condition at 27°C.
- For domestic customers: We send Oc cell suspension in 50-mL disposable tubes. The cells should be transferred to fresh MS medium immediately after arrival. Transfer settled cells to Erlenmeyer flasks containing fresh liquid medium with a pipette.
- For overseas customers: We send Oc cells placed on semi-solid MS medium in 250-mL disposable flasks. The cells should be transferred to fresh MS medium immediately after arrival. Collect the cells from the semi-solid medium with a spatula and transfer them to Erlenmeyer flasks containing fresh liquid medium.
- In order to maintain Oc cell suspension cultures stably, it is essential to transfer an adequate amount of cells to fresh MS medium in every subculture. The amount of cells may vary from one lab to another, because proliferation of Oc cells is affected by culture conditions, such as a room temperature, rotation speed of a rotary shaker, and aeration condition of the culture.
- In order to obtain good aeration of a suspension culture, a silicone cap may be used instead of the aluminum foil cap.
- A healthy cell culture has chrome yellow color. The volume of sedimented cells reaches 40–60% (v/v) after 7 days of culture.
- The parent accession C5928 is available from National BioResource Project Rice (https://shigen.nig.ac.jp/rice/oryzabase/).